Your privacy at Fidelity Australia
FIL Responsible Entity (Australia) Limited (“Fidelity Australia”) is serious about protecting the privacy of your personal and sensitive information and adheres to the requirements of the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the 'Privacy Act').
- What personal information does Fidelity Australia collect?
- How is personal information collected and stored?
- How is personal information used?
- Will personal information be given to anyone else?
- How can you access and correct your personal information?
Personal information refers to information or an opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
What personal information does Fidelity Australia collect?
The type of personal information collected depends on how you interact with us and which of our products or services you use.
If you acquire services from Fidelity Australia, we may ask you to provide certain details including, for example, your name and contact information, your birth date, your tax file number and your financial details.
Sometimes we may need to collect personal information about individuals who are not customers of Fidelity Australia (for example, business contact details of a company representative with whom we deal).
Generally, we will not collect sensitive information about you (such as your race, political beliefs, religion or health) unless this is required to enable us to provide you with services. If we need sensitive information, we will ask for your consent when we collect this information (unless an exception applies).
Fidelity Australia will also collect information about the use of our website which includes the number of users, when they visit, how they navigate through the pages, which pages are visited and the amount of time spent on looking through the website. Additionally, if you have accessed this website from another site, the address of that website will be known and your identity may be able to be matched to your use of the website.
By using this website, you agree to our collection and use of this information.
Similar statistical information is also collected when we distribute other electronic material such as marketing information on our products and services or market updates.
How is this personal information collected and stored?
This will depend on how you interact with us or the services you request from us. We may collect personal information about you from an application form or a registration form or verbally if you call our call centres or speak directly with our staff.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Refer to your browser instructions or help screens to learn about these functions. If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use our web sites.
Fidelity Australia takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal information and takes measures to avoid risks such as loss or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure.
To assist us with ensuring the security of your information, we ask that you observe security measures in relation to your username and password which are used to access the restricted areas of the site.
How is personal information used?
The personal information collected from you by Fidelity Australia may be used to:
- Provide you with our services or with other information you have requested;
- Notify you about other Fidelity Australia services or promotions from time to time;
- Manage our relationship with you;
- Provide additional services such as market updates and investor forums;
- Conduct market research to develop new products;
- Undertake planning and statistical analysis;
- Prevent fraud and crime in relation to the products or services we are providing on your behalf; or
- Fulfil our legal obligations eg to ASIC, ATO, AUSTRAC or the courts.
Will personal information be given to anyone else?
Personal information may be disclosed outside Fidelity Australia. For example:
- For legal reasons, we may need to disclose personal information to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, courts or external advisers.
- In some circumstances, personal information is disclosed to third parties where this is related to the supply of our services.
- Personal information may be disclosed to third parties to whom Fidelity Australia contracts out specialised functions, such as mailing houses and printing companies.
- In providing the product or service you have requested, Fidelity Australia may be required to disclose the information to third parties that are located offshore. We will only do so where this is permitted by law or where we have your consent to do so.
When you use Fidelity Australia’s products and services, you are taken to agree to our collection, use and disclosure of privacy information described above.
Google Analytics and third-party advertising partners
Can you access and correct your personal information?
Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to seek access to information which we hold about you, although there are some exceptions to this. You also have the right to ask us to correct information about you which is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. We will use all reasonable efforts to provide you with access as well as correct the information.
To assist us in this process, please ensure that you advise us of any changes to your contact details eg phone numbers and email addresses and alert us if you believe your personal information held by us is incorrect.
Changes to this policy
This policy is subject to change from time to time for any reason. You should periodically check this policy to ensure you are aware of how your personal information may be used.
FIL Responsible Entity (Australia) Limited
PO Box N850
Royal Exchange NSW 1225